Saturday, August 04, 2007
WHOSE LAND IS IT?
The U.N. map (thanks to Detain This) shows areas of the West Bank which are still more or less controlled by the Palestinians (in white) and the areas of the West Bank which are now under Israeli settlement or Israeli control (in orange). It seems that more than 40% of the West Bank has been illegally taken by the imperialist Israelis using military force during the last 40 years!
The dark lines along the western boarder show the apartheid wall which is being constructed to further cage the Palestinians. Notice also that the Palestinians have been deprived of access to the Jordan River and the Dead Sea. As well, many roads in the white regions are Israeli-only roads. If you click on the map, the enlargement will also show myriad Israeli checkpoints as small circles.
Like me, I think you will be staggered by the extent of the illegal Israeli land grab and perhaps understand why the occupied Palestinians sometimes resort to violence as they lose more and more of what little land they have left.
Indeed they live in a big, impoverished concentration camp, one broken into many small parts which means families are separated, farmland is lost, and access is difficult. Women have died at checkpoints and babies have been born there because they weren't allowed through by their cruel Jewish masters!
If 40% of the West Bank no longer belongs to the rightful owners, in another decade, how much will they have? And will it be worth having? Project yourself into their situation for a few moments if you can. How would you like to live in fear and poverty everyday of your life?
How can the world sit idly by and allow this monumental injustice to happen?
Quite easily it seems!
1. The Jewish people had no legal rights to a homeland based upon their ancient history!
2. Imagine if everyone in the world traced their ancestry back more than 2,000 years then demanded ownership of ancient lands? The world would be in total chaos. It is a preposterous idea!
3. And if those fools who allowed this injustice to occur thought the Jews should have a homeland then they should've given them some land: eg. Wales or California.
4. Relocating the imperialist Israelis to a less contentious location is not too late!
5. It's the Palestinians who are the dispossessed, occupied, suffering people!