Friends, I just saw a late afternoon interview with John Howard. He does not look like a man who is way behind in the polls, one who is facing an electoral rout tomorrow week. In fact, he looks like the mouse that's swallowed the cheese!
He laughed and joked with the media contingent as if it were nothing more than a pleasant social occasion. He parried their pointed questions in a jocular fashion. Given that he's not a good actor I can only surmise that he knows something that we, the voters, don't! The following is a partial list of guesses:
- He has got the nod from a major Media Mogul (one like Murdoch) that he is going to get full support during the last week.
- He has received recent knowledge about the Coalition success at targeting marginal seats with bribes which will ensure that he will win even though he falls far short of winning the popular vote.
- He has got some dirt on some senior members of the Opposition including Kevin Rudd which he'll reveal over the weekend.
- He has got the nod from the Christian Churches.
- He has got some financial analysis from somewhere which suggests that Labor cannot fund its promises.
- He has received some advance information from the Bush Administration about an attack on Iran next week (which could involve Israel) or about some planned terrorist attack in Australia during the next few days. This will allow him to play yet another fear card (along with union thuggery, rising interest rates and unemployment, a collapsing economy, etc).
- All of the above! Perhaps you have some other suggestions.
If Howard wins this election then democracy in Australia is truly dead and buried and we are firmly in the hands of right-wing Philistines.
I am very afraid both for me and my country!