A new Geo-4 Report from the U.N. shows a disastrous scenario for the world's future. In fact, some commenters say that wars will be fought, not over oil, but over scarce drinking water. The major points coming out of the very large report are as follows:
- There is "visible and unequivocal" evidence of the impacts of climate change.
- Many farming systems have reached their limits of production.
- Warmer temperatures and ocean acidification threaten food supplies.
- 1.8 billion people face water shortages by 2025 .
- Three-quarters of marine fisheries exploited to or beyond their limits.
- Exposure to pollutants causes 20% of disease in developing nations.
- Pollution being "exported" to developing world .
- About 60% of "ecosystem services" are degraded. (Source BBC).
Given this information does the world go into overdrive to reverse the negative trends which are already at a dangerous level? Are you crazy? Of course not!
What's important is to achieve even higher record levels in the world's stock markets, to make even more consumer goods, to live in ever-larger, electricity-consuming houses, to drive more powerful, fuel-guzzling vehicles, to fill the skies with more jet planes, to chop down more forests, to burn heaps more fossil fuels, to engage in further profitable wars...
Wars over drinking water, eh? How novel! Is there no limit to mankind's stupidity?