Friends, the world, for most is a hostile, worrisome place. There are wars, occupations and terrorist attacks. There is global warming, people starving, children dying from preventable diseases, cancer rages, infidelity and divorce is rife, democracy is rapidly slipping away, many people are lonely and bitter and filled with hate, etc. I'm sure you can add to the list. What is happening is the result of system failure combined with the erosion of values.
The systems which govern our lives are deeply flawed. Nationalism divides countries, encourages elitism and imperialism. Religion divides people, manipulates them into competing groups. Capitalism pits person against person, encourages greed and the rape of the planet. Politicians, too often, no longer serve their constituents, they rule them, etc. However, all systems are man-made. They can be unmade! We, the people, can have any political, social or economic system we want.
Simultaneously, the erosion of what values we once had is well-advanced. Once we lived in simple rural communities where everyone knew everyone and helped each other. We grew our own crops, wove our own cloth, danced around the maypole, used a barter system. We felt we belonged and we did. Then technology and the Industrial Revolution came along.
Now, in polluted and over-crowded cities, most of us exist in a lonely, dog-eat-dog, 'me-first' world. People are encouraged, using credit, to 'have it all now' and who cares about anyone else. If your marriage has gone a bit stale, divorce and get someone younger. Materialism rages while people live under bridges and others starve. The gap between rich and poor across the world widens daily. Road rage and assaults and rapes are common as is drug use and promiscuity and sexual deviation. But values, like systems, can also be restored. We the people can change everything. How, you ask?
It's simple. Stop being manipulated!
Employ the techniques used by Gandhi, the passive, civil disobedience ones. Stop fighting in armies. Stop being pawns in the capitalist game, the one that makes a few people fabulously rich. Stop buying the junk that everyone says we must have to make us happy. Stop voting for folks whose only interest is self-interest. Stop living in cities which, after all, are only ugly , polluted 'compounds', ones which keep millions held captive so the vested interests can fuel the industrial production lines and fill their gimmicky retail outlets.
Start thinking about being responsible citizens of the world, caring about others and the environment. Begin sharing, being generous. Be aware of the bigger picture, the interrelatedness of all living things, our interdependence on nature and the shortness of our lives.
We can change the world, make it into whatever we want. Join the UTOPIANS now and let's change the world into a place where everyone counts, where everyone is looked after.
1. Most political, economic and social systems prevailing in the world today are deeply flawed or corrupt and must be completely changed or modified before our world is destroyed by a nuclear holocaust or global warming.
2. Fierce competition between individuals, states and nations encourages elitism, imperialism and greed which in turn causes immense damage to the planet as well as the mass killing of civilians. Competition should be immediately replaced by genuine co-operation and sharing.
3. Power corrupts so that all existing concentrations of power: political, militaristic and capital-based must be neutralized then decentralized, re-allocated or destroyed.
4. Living a simple, sustainable, communal, semi-rural lifestyle brings maximum harmony and peace and is kind to the environment.
5. Religious fantasies and superstitions, as promoted by powerful religious institutions, are irrational, divisive and self-serving and should be replaced by humanitarian, evidence-based perceptions and an acceptance of life's reality.
6. Material things do not and never will bring happiness - happiness comes from within but can be enhanced by the feeling of belonging to a supportive, caring community.
7. Sharing and co-operation assisted by an all powerful but just World Government and World Court will mean that all world citizens will be equal and can enjoy a reasonable, equitable lifestyle (not just the few who, because of the current system, live in ultra-luxury).
8. Genuine caring and respect for others will encourage others to care, that hurting others in any way diminishes the person responsible.
9. Change can be brought about non-violently using the passive resistance techniques of Gandhi and Martin Luther King (eg. not voting, not serving in the armed forces, not working for armament industries, not paying taxes, not buying materialistic junk or products that damage the environment, getting off the capitalist treadmill, setting up self-sufficient rural communities, ignoring theological edicts, etc).
10. Once humans begin to enjoy the benefits of simplicity, cooperation and selflessness, that happiness and peace will grow and prevail on this earth for the first time ever.
Utopians, let's get started before it's too late! To join us see the Sidebar.
Photo Image Link.
P.S. The ten point list of Utopian Demands For Children was posted on Sept 5th. Your thoughts on both lists are most welcome!