Monday, July 30, 2007
IS THE WORLD IN DEBT TO AMERICA?
Gordon Brown, the new British Prime Minister, has announced on the eve of his meeting with Bush that the world is in debt to America for its fight against terrorism. Well I never!
I thought perhaps when Bush's poodle Blair went (Howard is not a poodle - more a pet rat) that Brown might have been different. Apparently not. The groveling to America continues unabated. Perhaps Brown will enter the room where Emperor Bush reigns on his hands and knees or even sliding on his stomach. Yuk!
However, Brown's sycophancy aside, is the world really in debt to America? Let's look at a few things:
1. America, since WW2 when its idea of global hegemony took root, has mainly always acted out of self-interest.
2. America, despite proclaiming belief in freedom and democracy has, when it suits, supported all manner of dictators and Royal despots (Saddam, Musharraff, Mubarak, the Saudi Royal Family, etc)
3. America has continuously supported Israel despite its gross human rights violations and its forty year illegal occupation of the Palestinian Territories. This has increasingly infuriated most of the Muslim world.
4. America has supported terrorists like Bin Laden (when he was opposing the Russians) then dropped him when his purpose was achieved. This further alienated many Muslims, especially Bin Laden.
5. It has also supported terrorists in places like South America when their governments were anti-American. It has also financed coups against the leaders of hostile governments.
6. America had its bum whupped by North Vietnam showing clearly to the world that its military might was beatable.
7. Following 9/11, when America was attacked by a small group of those it had alienated, the idea of using that event to further its hegemonic ambitions and secure valuable oil resources was pushed by the Neocons. Afghanistan was invaded and occupied first because of Bin Laden and the Taliban but access to resources in Asia Minor was also a contributing factor. As in Vietnam, the clear failure of sheer military might against a partisan guerrilla army is still being demonstrated.
8. Iraq was then invaded and occupied using fictitious evidence. It's oil reserves were another prize but not one that America admits too. Again the situation has totally disintegrated after the initial invasion and civil war rages. Like Afghanistan, the place is a hotbed of terrorism and, like a recruiting centre, attracts radical Muslims from all over the world who badly want to kill Americans.
9. American support for the Israeli attack on Lebanon has further inflamed anti-American hatred throughout the Muslim world.
10. The crushing of the Hamas Government (led by America) by starving it of funds has split the Palestinians and any chance of them achieving real freedom. Again Muslims are being trashed.
11. Iran is next on the American invasion list. It too has lots of oil which put together with the Saudi oil and the huge reserves in Iraq would give America a virtual monopoly.
12. America is arguably the most hated and feared country in the world. Many polls have confirmed this.
There are many more items that could be included on this list but hopefully I've made my point!
So, given the wars raging across the Middle East, the alienation of Muslims worldwide, the probability of further escalation of conflict in Iran using nukes, and the rapid growth of terrorism worldwide are we really in debt to America for its 'fight against terrorism' as Brown claims?
Only a complete fool could possibly make such a statement.
P.S. It's not the American people that so many in the world hate and fear - it's their leadership!
P.P.S. America has just announced billions of dollars in arms for its proxies, Israel, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, etc, guaranteeing that terrorism will increase further. If that money had been spent on aid to those who live in poverty then terrorism would have declined!