1. That life is a gift and is finite.
2. That you will be separated from those whom you love during your life.
3. That you may get sick.
4. That eventually you will grow old and infirm.
5. That one day, and it may be sooner rather than later, you will die.
How many people do you know who fully accept these five facts? I know it's taken me a long, long time to come to terms with them and to integrate their reality into my thinking. I wasted far too much time trying to deny or change them!
Given these facts of life it is therefore important to recognize:
6. That happiness is found, not in materialism or worldly success, but within oneself.
7. That all life is precious and should be respected and preserved.
8. That is is necessary to withdraw from life periodically (meditation) to maintain sanity and perspective in this stress-filled, crazy world.
9. That sensible diet and exercise help to achieve well-being.
10. That all you have is the here and now which therefore should be enjoyed to the full (the promise of life after death is a cruel fantasy used by unscrupulous people to enslave others).
There. You have a religion-free recipe for a relatively contented life regardless of what is thrown at you.
May peace be your constant companion!